SafariBob wrote:

tqlla wrote:

SafariBob wrote:

tqlla wrote:

SafariBob wrote:

andrewD2 wrote:

SafariBob wrote:

andrewD2 wrote:

that’s not really true. The pixels in a screen have a sub pixel for each color. The camera does not. Hence a 4K display, which is 8mpx is equivalent to a 32mpx photo. Typically, to generate one high quality pixel you need 4, this is why high quality 1080p is supersampled from 4K. This basically implies that a super high quality 4K image needs up to 144mpx.

A 4k wide image at 3:2 isn't 8MP.

I am talking about a 4K image, not “4K wide”

The calculation you are making is the required camera resolution. The camera resolution is cropped for a 16:9 screen. You need to take that into account.

as you say, that’s bizarre. Let’s do the math.

3:2, 4K wide. = 4096 * 4096 * 2/3 = 11.1mpx full colour = 44 camera mpx.

so in order to fill a 4K display with information at each sub pixel you need 44mpx

16:9, 4K wide = 4096 * 4096 * 9/16 = 9.4mpx full colour= 37.6 mpx camera

Used British spelling if that helps cognition for ya

Your math is just way off here.

4K at 3x2 = 3840x2560 = 9.8304MP
4K at 16x9 = 3840x2160 = 8.2944MP
8K on a 3x2 sensor would require 7680x5120 = 39.3216MP

I dont know that much about color detail on a per pixel level.

read the other post. That is why this is not the correct interpretation. Different kinds of 4K. What you are talking about is ultra hd. 4K is 4096. But it’s the same for practical purposes.

But my assumption is that each pixel on a camera sensor is more than just a Red or Green or Blue.

it ain’t.

Is that something you learned from Ken Rockwell?

lol, touché

Open a picture with your photo editor. Using the editors magnify, zoom into a single pixel in a white portion of the image.

If what you believe is true, that pixel would be red green or blue.

It’s not, because it is interpolated. Just like clear image zoom.

edit: this is just marketing from the camera companies, just like hard drive makers use factors of ten bit while os’es use factors of 2. To make them sound bigger. Camera makers exaggerate 300% though not 2-8%

Okay, I see what you are saying.  But still a 42MP sensor has 42MP of resolution regardless of how the color definition of each pixel is created.

tqlla's gear list:tqlla's gear list
Sony RX1R II Sony Alpha DSLR-A850 Sony Alpha a99 Sony a7R II Sony a99 II +4 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow