Corporate Headshots and Raw files

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
AZBlue
AZBlue Senior Member • Posts: 2,386
Re: Corporate Headshots and Raw files

Jacques Cornell wrote:

AZBlue wrote:

This thread exemplifies why corporate clients dislike photographers and why I ultimately set up a photo studio at my last corporate job—so we didn't have to deal with this nonsense. Nickel-and-diming over a file format is silly, annoying, and gets in the way of getting my job done. Give the client what they want, they hired you for your work product.

My work product includes all the post-production that goes into making a finished image. I'm not a paid-by-the-hour work-for-hire button-pusher.

No need for that much post when you get it right in-camera. It's a headshot, not a Cosmo Magazine cover. A paid-by-the-hour work-for-hire-button-pusher can achieve the same results as most "pros" when properly taught and supervised. Again, we are talking headshots. One simple studio setup for everyone, then assembly line. It's not rocket science, although I'm sure some photogs would like us to believe that.

We're talking corporate headshots here, not art to which you will be signing your name or making limited edition repros.

Who cares what they do with the files? Let them paint mustaches on the headshots if they want! None of these photos are going to be hung or displayed with your name on a plaque. Once you deliver the shots nobody who sees them will ever know your name or care.

And you know this how? Because you never get work via word of mouth? Well, I do.

If you give your client what they want, enabling them to do their jobs better, faster, and easier, you will have a happy and satisfied repeat client. Nickel-and-dime them over silly things like files and you will have a frustrated client who will not enjoy working with you. When I ran my Seattle marketing/branding studio some years ago, we never charged to burn client files to a CD for them to do with as they pleased. Other area agencies charged upwards of $150 just to burn a CD. My clients told me repeatedly how much they enjoyed working with my agency because we didn't didn't add BS charges to anything.

That's why you give your client what they want. Word of mouth is spread by happy clients, not by clients you've nickel-and-dimed over files and anything else they need. And word of mouth is also not created by anyone looking at headshots that do not contain your name or contact information anywhere.

Be careful about whose advice you follow because nobody but you has a vested interest in the outcome. Do what feels right and don't question yourself. If nothing else, you will have a competitive advantage over other photographers who prefer to charge outrageous prices for raw files because part of their business plan is to squeeze every last penny out of a client. That's not about talent or forging strong professional relationships.

Here you're grossly oversimplifying the discussion.

And you're grossly overcomplicating it.

-- hide signature --

"I've been in more laps than a napkin" - Mae West

AZBlue's gear list:AZBlue's gear list
Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm F4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Sigma 150mm F2.8 EX DG OS Macro HSM +1 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
BAK
BAK
BAK
BAK
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow