Fixing Zeiss Rollei lenses

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNext
Flat view
fferreres Senior Member • Posts: 2,310
Fixing Zeiss Rollei lenses

I have many Zeiss Rollei lenses. Mostly, the first versions made in Germany and with all metal body. I find that when I service them, they have the most cumbersome design including:

Multiple 0.2mm wires going from part of the aperture mechanism to screws which is what gives them torsion.

A plastic ring that is always in bad shape for Auto/Manual, that uses a spring pushed bearing into plastic squares, which never works (new or old) and always is pressed.

A spring with a bearing, again, for aperture click, in a way that to put it back, it needs to dangle in the spring, then press the inner shell of the rear part against this aperture ring, continuously, with no fastening mechanism, who's rear parts now (continuing to press) needs to perfectly align with 3 guides: 1) the aperture setting knob, 2) the inner (coarse) helicoid guide, 3) the locking pin for the outer part of the lens...

... all while pushing the aperture ring and to the rear part, otherwise the ball jumps and is not longer in place, and this must be started with the lens facing down (so the bearing is standing up while coupling it).

My recommendation? To send for CLA. But even then, whoever does it, even if expert, will have to deal with the parts that wear like the bring and bearing against the cheap plastic Auto/Manual.

If anyone feel like trying and gets stuck, ask me. I have more experience in this cumbersome thing than in almost any other technical thing. My advise is to try to stay away at least from anything <= 50mm all metal versions.

Previous Zeiss and the next generation (C/Y) are in turn extremely more basic to service because...they are well designed. It's staggering how the Contarex lenses could have been produced at the same time as these for Rollei SL35. I guess Zeiss was one the one hand doing this for someone elses body that would then do their own assembly, and cutting all corners, plus testing a new approach to lens mechanics.

Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow