A7iii vs A7Riii

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
SafariBob
SafariBob Contributing Member • Posts: 835
Re: A7iii vs A7Riii

JeyB wrote:

hilarious. You would obviously see the difference between a 42mpx picture and a 24mpx picture if printed high quality at 24x32, and you saw them next to each other. Especially given one has aa and the other doesn’t. It would be visible at far smaller prints under optimal circumstances.

Do you have any real evidence that the A7 3 has an AA filter. Where did you read that? Can you quote, please?

e.g. https://www.imaging-resource.com/cameras/sony/a7r-iii/vs/sony/a7-iii/

there was also some discussion and confusion when the camera first came out whether or not it had it. Conclusion was, yes it has it. Reasons may be to avoid weird artifacts from entry level users, make af more reliable, premiumize r series

From my experience I may suppose it has not AA. Moire is present in a lot of photographs.

it is a quite mild filter

Aside that I've never seen the high mpx advantage

i don’t mean to be rude or facetious, but what are you looking for? Go in any side by side comparison and you see it.

. Let's be honest

sure. Happy to have a realistic discussion about it. This has obviously been discussed to death, but it doesn’t prevent misunderstandings from reappearing.

, where do we watch our pics? Everybody uses a screen monitor and given the actual resolution limit it is impossible to see a FULL 42 mpx image at 100% magnification on any existing screen.

that’s not really true. The pixels in a screen have a sub pixel for each color. The camera does not. Hence a 4K display, which is 8mpx is equivalent to a 32mpx photo. Typically, to generate one high quality pixel you need 4, this is why high quality 1080p is supersampled from 4K. This basically implies that a super high quality 4K image needs up to 144mpx.

You may see only a PART of an image at 42 mpx resolution (the part that fills your screen only). Where is the point then?

this is also a point, because you may want to crop or rotate or other transformations.

When you apply any zooming factor, the image editing program interpolates the data and no longer is full res until you reach 100% magnification.

not sure what this means

And lately, how do we share our images? We still need to downsample images to post them in forums or wherever you want. And in the last instance the viewer's monitor bottleneck is again interpolating high mpx.

even in instagram, WhatsApp and whatnot, you can still decern a dslr from an iPhone pic, but likely not 24 from 42 unless heavily cropped.

High mpx is useful if you profesionally work for highly demanding customers, stock photography, big format printing or for the sake of pixel peeping.

its about convenience. Having a photo that outresolves your lenses or your photographic needs gives you flexibility in post, opportunity to print larger and extra detail when you want.

Well, just my humble opinion.

sure. The issue is that people spread this stuff all the time while not really understanding how things work. A 300 dpi 24x36 print stilll requires more multi color pixels than a 24mpx has single color pixels, so you are not saturating the image with resolution.

ostensibly the statements being made are well meant and often “true” but unfortunately misinformed

Best

SafariBob's gear list:SafariBob's gear list
Sony a7R II Sony 70-400mm F4-5.6 G SSM Sony FE 35mm F2.8 Sony Vario-Tessar T* FE 16-35mm F4 ZA OSS
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow