If I didn't have <insert here>, I would just go on thinking I was happy!

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
NorCal Jim
NorCal Jim Regular Member • Posts: 418
If I didn't have <insert here>, I would just go on thinking I was happy!

I'm wondering whether to get an RX100M7 as planned in the December timeframe.  Since it checks so many boxes of features that I find desirable, the purchase decision should be a no-brainer.  So, what's the problem?  When I consider the gear that I have, I am pretty happy and contented.  This is purely a rhetorical question and the following is presented for possible entertainment value since I'm probably not the only one trying to justify the acquisition of the latest technical marvel while being perfectly happy and content with my gear.

Some background:

Last June, while trying to clean up my Google Photos, I came across a series of photos and videos of a long weekend visit with my brothers that were captured with an RX100M3.  After an initial comment, my brothers ignored the camera and I was able to capture great candid photos and videos.  I don't think that I would have gotten the same results with my MFT cameras/lenses as they would have been too distracting.  This led to a realization of how much I missed my RX100M3.

Once I decided to get another RX100 camera, the only question was which one to choose. It came down to either the M5 or the M6.  Despite the fact that most of my photos fall into the 24-70mm range and I didn't want to give up the ND filter, I couldn't let go of the idea of a 24-200mm range and so started a lengthy internal debate with associated indecision.  My solution was to get an M5 and an HX-99 for those very rare occasions when I want extra reach. Problem solved!  ...or so I thought.  I had already purchased the HX-99 and was planning to get the M5 in September when Sony introduced the M7 with the impressive A9 technology, microphone input and various other features.  With these extra incentives, I changed my RX100 target to the M7.  Meanwhile, I talked myself into going ahead with the M5 purchase since it might just be the last of the wider aperture cameras in the series.  Yes, it only makes sense to get the last of the brighter, 24-70mm cameras now and get the M7 in December.

So, I did pick up the M5 and whatever was missing when I sold my M3 has more than been replaced with the M5. It's been great having an RX100 series camera again and I am having a wonderful time using it!  In the midst of my enjoyment is the realization that I have what I need and common sense tells me that the M7 is overkill.  My head tells me I don't need the M7 but my heart tells me that I want it for its capabilities.  Will I listen to my head or my heart?  What would you do?

Cheers!

Jim

NorCal Jim's gear list:NorCal Jim's gear list
Sony RX100 V Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX99 Sony a5100 Olympus E-M5 II Olympus PEN-F +14 more
Canon EOS M3 Canon EOS M6 Sony a9 Sony RX100 Sony RX100 III
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow