View on upgrade choices

Started 3 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Latouf12 New Member • Posts: 10
View on upgrade choices

Good day all. With all the recent announcements in the sony world (and rumors of things to come), I am looking to upgrade my trusted a6500 to a new full frame sony. Form factor, dual cards and general camera control are the reasons Im changing. And of course the FF feel (field of view and bokeh)..

I use my camera for nature, kids sports match and work events and portraits (I’m often the designated photograph

I might have stayed on the apsc bandwagon, but the improvement in the a6600 won’t be enough for me.

I will be going for the purchase around Thanksgiving.

I’ve been saving up for 2 years and now have quote a few choices in front of me.

The dilemma I’m facing is that, I have quite an investment in apsc glass so trying to maximes the bang for the buck.

Given that the apsc mode on the a7r iv does 26mp apsc, this would be a very tempting upgrade path and allow me to keep all the APSC stuff I have and build my FF in time. The way I see this is that the a7riv could be the best apsc for me while still give a good reason to invest in FF. I’m also not super ready for those 61mp ff files and using the apsc mode would allow me to change/adapt my workflow. I also like the weight saving of the apsc lens and I think we will still see some interesting lenses in the future (the new 16-55 comes to mind).

But where I get further confused, is with the rumors of a new a9ii, if this is true, I think the first gen a9 would fall in the same price range and give me access to that super cool AF and tracking and the file size would be under control (24 vs 61). Of course, this would mean I would need to buy new FF glass much faster.

Glad to hear other views.

Latouf12's gear list:Latouf12's gear list
Sony a6500 Sony Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* E 24mm F1.8 ZA Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS Sigma 18-35mm F1.8 DC HSM Art Carl Zeiss Touit 2.8/12 +5 more
Sony a6500 Sony a7R Sony a9
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow