a9 Raw processing question

Started 4 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Colin Franks
Colin Franks Senior Member • Posts: 1,687
a9 Raw processing question

I have acquired a Sony a9 and 200-600 (love it!).

As I still use the old Photoshop CS6 for processing my images (no subscription CC for me), I was going to convert all the Sony Raw files to DNGs (as I have done with Canon 5DIV and Nikon D850 files), but I thought I would give the free Sony “Edit” software a try. It came with the “Viewer” software which is great for culling.

https://support.d-imaging.sony.co.jp/app/imagingedge/en/

At first it seemed too basic and lacking certain features, which is true, but it actually works pretty good. I make my desired adjustments, and then export it as a Tiff, then finish off the file in PS CS6 and save as a full size master JPG, then delete the massive Tiff file. *The “Edit” software does save/imbed the adjustments into the Raw file.

But one thing perplexes me. When I open & view a Raw file in this Sony “Edit” software, it appears to be fantastically clear, sharp and vibrant, yet when the Tiff is opened in PS, it loses some of that sharpness and vibrancy. Why would that be? The same thing happened when I tried converting the Sony Raw file into a DNG and opening it in ACR – a loss of sharpness and vibrancy.

BTW, I am open to any other suggestions for processing these Sony Raw files too.

Colin Franks's gear list:Colin Franks's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Mark II Sony a9 Sony 2.0x Teleconverter Sony 1.4x Teleconverter Canon EF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6L IS II +7 more
Nikon D850 Sony a9
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow