3 clear nights in Ireland 2019

Started 4 weeks ago | Photos thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNext
Flat view
dave0g3 Forum Member • Posts: 92
3 clear nights in Ireland 2019

All shot on a6500 and Sigma 16mm F1.4 untracked edited to taste and the best of my ability

May 1st - Inish Oir smallest of the Aran Islands

Stacked and blended panorama - The Plassey, shipwrecked in 1960 - most visitors shoot in it the day. Cliffs of Moher in the distant horizon.

May 5th - Hiked up and camped near the top of Ben Baun in Connemara to hopefully get a shot of the Milky Way in the V between the surrounding peaks. Once darkness began to fall it showed that the full arc was possible

Stacked blended panorama. Couldn't camp any higher as just rock above me and to dangerous to move around too much

Stacked blended panorama. 3 rows vertical orientation - 9 panels per row - 5 image stack per panel. 10 sec exposures for the sky and 30 sec for the foreground Approx an hour to soot. Ended up with a 190 megapixel image. What looks like the sun rising is Galway city with all the other villages along the coast adding their sodium lights to the mix

I decided to try out 30 sec exposures on everything for this one even if the stars would be slightly elongated and as night was starting to fade and I knew this would be a BW image light pollution be dammed

Sept 19th - Dogs Bay Connemara Walked out to the end of the small peninsula to find a suitable foreground

Picked this spot as I wouldn't have to deal with light pollution shooting out to sea. Also from testing during the summer i decided I could live with 13 sec exposures for the sky. Best compromise between light gathering and round stars in a print especially as my night shots are always panoramas of some sort. Stacked blended - 5 shots per panel 3 panels high 13 sec exp for the sky and 30 secs for foreground. Foreground shot approx 20 mins before true darkness as there was only going to be a 20 minute window between true darkness and the moon rising. Realigned the sky back to where it would have been 20 mins earlier

Unlikely there will be another chance to shoot this year as next 2 weeks are cloudy and after that the center of the core never gets above the horizon till next March

dave0g3's gear list:dave0g3's gear list
Sony a6000 Sony a6500 +6 more
Comment & critique:
Please provide me constructive critique and criticism.
Sigma 16mm F1.4 DC DN (Sony) Sony a6500
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow