Fuji system and computational photography

Started 3 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Menedem
Menedem Regular Member • Posts: 252
Fuji system and computational photography

Hello all,

Recently I came across an article by Nasim Mansurov on Photography Life web site that contrasts smartphone features and philosophy with that of photo cameras (camera industry, really): https://photographylife.com/smartphone-vs-camera-industry

The article intrigued me greatly.  One of the points being presented is a complexity of the workflow in photo cameras versus the smart phones.

I've been a digital camera user since early days (Canon d30), and switched to Fuji system several years ago.  Fuji went a long way to simplify photo workflow by producing extremely honed JPEG files.  That, coupled with very good optics and solid bodies, created a versatile camera system that is easier to use overall than some other systems.  This is my opinion, of course.

Fuji also went to some extent to support the notion of computational photography by allowing tethered processing.  That is, use the camera body to assist in processing RAW files as part of the PC-based workflow.  However, this capability appears to be in its infant stages, at least as compared to some of the most advanced phones.

Given that Fuji system is in large part a software system (kaizen, frequent updates, etc.), I'd be curious to hear your thoughts on the system growth path along the lines of computational photography.  That is, enhancements that would provide in-camera image processing options that would simplify post-camera workflow.  It appears that Fuji is already making some strides in this are with additional image adjustment options in XP3 (based on rumors, anyway).

What other computational photography options do you think the system can benefit from?  I am not necessarily talking about running Lightroom inside the camera, but certain key features that can simplify the overall workflow.

Thank you,

Dmitry

Menedem's gear list:Menedem's gear list
Fujifilm X100T Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm X-T1 +2 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow