I'm completely baffled!

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
bomobob New Member • Posts: 5
I'm completely baffled!

The weirdest thing happened last night with my 5D MKII, and I'm sure there's an explanation of some sort, but it's really not coming to me.

Here's the setup:

I'm using an Astronomik light pollution filter between the lens and the body. You flip up the mirro, insert the sensor-sized filter, and reattach the lens. Pretty simple. This filter is used for astrophotography, and has narrow bandstops for halogen emission lines. Since you can't use the viewfinder with the mirror flipped up, and stars aren't bright enough to see in Live View, you have to take a bunch of trial and error shots until you can get nice, pinpoint stars.

So there I am with my TC-80N3 remote, clicking 3-5 second shots (sometimes with long exposure NR on, sometimes off), then reviewing them zoomed in to see a bright star, and I'm scrolling back to previous shots to see if the star is getting more or less blobby and more in focus. So I do this about, I dunno, twenty times, always flipping back to previous shots until I feel the focus is as good as it gets.

So then I set the remote to take 30 or so shots with NR on.

I go inside with the card. Nothing! Not one shot. No test shots, no shots from the series.

So...I get that if you don't set the interval on the remote for a long enough time to allow the noise reduction plus the writing, you won't get any images recorded. I'm good with that. But none of the test shots! There I was, scrolling through them over and over again, yet not one was recorded to the card. And yes, the card is fine; I checked. Internal memory on the camera will show you one shot, but it absolutely will not allow you to press the Review button and scroll through images.

I have no idea how this could possibly happen!

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow