Video on RED sensor development

Started 4 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNext
Flat view
Eric Fossum
Eric Fossum Senior Member • Posts: 1,399
Video on RED sensor development

Someone sent me this YouTube link and it is sort of interesting. It boils down to if RED designed their own early sensors or not. There is some technical stuff introduced along the way. It is an hour or more but for an amateur documentary, well investigated and may be of interest to some of you.

Here is part of what I wrote to the person who sent me the link:

Thanks for sharing this video. I did not watch it in full detail, but it certainly looks well investigated and produced. I will say my small consulting with Forza in ’07 had nothing to do with RED. Other than that, I didn’t see anything that I disagreed with that pertained to me, particularly as it drew from things available on the web, which never forgets! (At least not so far).

Personally, I doubt the revelations in this particular chapter will come as much surprise to the image sensor community. If designed by Forza, they were incredibly tight-lipped about it, yet it seemed some people knew something, perhaps via other sources or their own investigation as exampled in this video. On the other hand, at the recent 2019 Int. Image Sensor Workshop, I finally ran into someone who claimed to manage a large team of sensor designers at Red. So my statement about never meeting a sensor designer from Red probably needs to be relative to the time of the statement. I don’t recall his name and I can only take his word that he was a sensor designer or manager of sensor designers.

I have also had occasion to look at a few patents of Jannard et al. The modular camera invention seemed like a nice innovation and the USPTO granted them a patent. Between that and the success of RED, I have to admire Jannard’s entrepreneurship and tenacity at entering this market with a better and successful series of products (some not so successful, like with any company).

-EF

Eric Fossum's gear list:Eric Fossum's gear list
Sony RX100 II Nikon Coolpix P900
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow