26 damselflies on a two-foot section of log

Started 3 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Offside Senior Member • Posts: 5,881
26 damselflies on a two-foot section of log

Yesterday I canoed a section of the Oconee River below Milledgeville, Georgia. I usually do the section of this river 40 miles further downstream in late fall. The number of dragonflies and damselflies I saw was incredible. During the entire seven mile trip, there was never an area close to the boat I did not see a dragonfly or damselfly. They were everywhere.

At one point, a friend asked me if I saw the damselflies on a log. I said no and paddled a short distance upstream to see them. I was amazed at what I saw. By my count, there were 26 damselflies on a two-foot section of the log (22 in first image). They were ovipositing (laying eggs). In the images below is the primary group. There was a separate, smaller group of four, further to the right. At least three female damselflies are completely underwater.

The exposure on the images was not good. My main concern was camera shake at full zoom. Bight sun, ISO 800, and overexposure killed a lot of the detail in the images. The current was fairly strong near the log. I was holding onto the log and would let go prior to taking an image, then paddle back up and try again.

Excuses aside, I have never seen anything like this. I also saw a cluster of 12 further downstream but could not get a decent image. All in all, a great day to be on the river even though the fishing was not great.

ID not determined

ID not determined

ID not determined

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow