Atmos Shinobi Monitor on a Nikon Z6

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
rick colman Regular Member • Posts: 114
Atmos Shinobi Monitor on a Nikon Z6

This unit may be the best thing since sliced bread for video guys, but it is advertised as a monitor for STILL and video, I do mostly still photography - night still photography. From that perspective, after two nights out hooked to a Nikon Z 6 in a SmallRig L-bracket with add-ons, I am not a happy camper

First the pluses: this is the only setup that lets me zoom-in on the magnified Z6 camera monitor, and gives me enough magnification and high enough monitor IQ to nail star focus the first time, with confidence. THIS IS A HUGE PLUS!!

Now, the many minuses:

1. Getting it mounted securely is a difficult proposition with my setupo, and I am still struggling with it. GET THE RIGHT KIND OF SHORT, FLEXIBLE, MAYBE COILED HDMI 5. CABLE or you will be sorry.
  2. the menu system was designed by the devil, and extremely difficult ands non-intuitive to use. Maybe if you are a seasoned video guy, it will seem ok. But, I used to design user interface modules and this one is a stinker.
  3. So, as a result. I have a lot of problems adjusting image brigtness vs. menu brigtness vs. data displays etc. etc. Intended to be bright for daytime use, it is way too bright at night and i have not been able to bring it dowm
  4. Everytime I switch display modes on the camera, the monitor loses the signal for a couple of seconds nd then recovers. Since display switching happens a lot, this is really annoying. Probably not an issue for video.
  5. The doc is pretty good in explaining fuctions and features, but no so good on how to do things. Maybe this is a rite of passage.

So, I dont want to make a career out of figuring out how to use this device, but ... i hope to update this review in a more positive fashion shortly, after I struggle to get this all working.

If someone knows how to workaround some of these issues, please let me know.

rick colman's gear list:rick colman's gear list
Nikon Z7 Nikon Z6
Nikon Z6
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow