dpreview 90d

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
David M. Anglin
David M. Anglin Senior Member • Posts: 1,386
Re: dpreview 90d

MAC wrote:

BirdShooter7 wrote:

I wonder if the face tracking had anything to do with that result. Would the result be the same for a bird, car, airplane...??

hey Greg

it could be settings

did you ever resolve your 7d2 focus hit issues?

so in the comments to the review - I read the following from Sharlin

Sharlin
Like in all Canon enthusiast-and-up DSLRs, if you set C.Fn II-5: AI Servo 2nd image priority to "Focus priority", you should get more shots in focus at the expense of somewhat reduced fps. Still more than 3fps unless the focusing conditions are really tricky. You should also be able to increase the fraction of sharp shots by adjusting the other AF parameters to match your use case.

do you do this?

I was shooting a litter of 6 week old German wired hair pointers in an open field -  very active and playful.  The 90d did fine with AF for 12-14 shot bursts then started to struggle.  I finally switched to the 1dx II since the pups were so active.  I shot in single point, area AF and large area AF.  Some of the bursts were on two puppies going at each other and some with up to 4 puppies in a brawl.  I do have the settings for AF tight because I don’t want it to fire unless it has focus.  Same as my 1dx II.

I was shooting , not trying to thoroughly test so I could not take time to troubleshoot.  Puppies have bursts of energy and then go to sleep.  I was surprised they lasted as long as they did.

David M. Anglin's gear list:David M. Anglin's gear list
Canon EOS-1D X Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EOS M6 II Canon Extender EF 1.4x III Canon Extender EF 2x III +7 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
v30
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow