Panasonic Special Limited Edition 20mm f1.7 B&W lens

Started 4 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Henry Richardson Forum Pro • Posts: 16,539
Panasonic Special Limited Edition 20mm f1.7 B&W lens

Everyone knows that for the best Black & White (Monochrome) photography you should use a lens that is designed for only B&W. In 2012 I bought a special Panasonic Lumix Special Limited Edition 20mm f1.7 B&W lens for use on my m4/3 cameras. You mount the lens and the special B&W optics allow only B&W light through to be recorded by the sensor. And those B&W photos can be amazing! So different than using your run of the mill, pedestrian Leica, Nikon, Zeiss, Canon, Fuji, Olympus, etc. lenses that allow deleterious color to pass through. Once you've used a true B&W lens you just can't go back to shooting B&W with a color lens! Anyway, I recommend that if you take B&W photos you get a very exclusive, specially designed for B&W lens with the special B&W glass! Simply stunning! Of course, if your standards are not that high then any old lens will work for B&W.

I got the Panasonic Lumix 20mm f1.7 Special Limited Edition B&W version with the rare, exquisite glass elements which only allow black and white and shades of gray light to pass through. The monochrome image has a divine purity unsullied by colored light rays which can reduce the monochrome micro-contrast, cause busy bokeh, and in some cases (depending on tidal forces) can be a catalyst for severe diarrhea in the user. Trust me, when you are out and about in places where toilets are few and far between and taking B&W photos you just don't want sudden onset explosive diarrhea. Actually, even when not taking B&W photos.

Soon after purchasing this Special Limited Edition B&W lens in 2012 it was discontinued. The value, of course, has skyrocketed so I expect to have it buried with me when I die. It's in my will. I wrapped a piece of duct tape around the barrel so that, hopefully, no one will notice it and mug me. Here in Japan that would normally be almost an impossible event, but for this lens some people are desperate, even in Japan.

Click on original to see a better, sharper image. The photos in a dpreview thread are highly compressed and soft. Here is a man in Bali.

-- hide signature --

Henry Richardson
http://www.bakubo.com

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow