2019 Alienstock Festival and International Car Forest

Started 4 weeks ago | Photos thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
vegasdood
vegasdood Regular Member • Posts: 419
2019 Alienstock Festival and International Car Forest

Just got back from the over-hyped Alienstock Festival out at Rachel, Nevada. For our international audience here on DPR, some punk Cali over-privileged kid that probably lives in his mom's house started a viral Facebook event called something like "Storm Area 51 and show us those Aliens..". Part of the marketed package was a play on Woodstock and have a concert called Alienstock. Well, this kid loved all the attention he got until it was time to actually do something and then he chickened out.

The traction for this hopefully 1st Annual got muddled with government anarchist wannabes, music festival lovers, alien fans, and then multiple different events all trying to cash in and bet the ONE. I would suspect after the weekend is all said and done maybe 5000+ people drive out to remote Rachel, Nevada...

In the future I think if ONE GROUP could tap into the music festival element and even have speakers that are known alien officianados with complimentary food trucks this could be a great event. Also, if the held this at the Alien Research Center (really a retail store) just outside Alamo, it would make it safer, more manageable and more logistically positioned.

Ok, with all that backstory, I headed out with my new a7RIV and my a7RII. When I shoot music I implement the posterization image effect. Some might say "why not just do that in Photoshop"? Because, this effect is dynamically responsive to lighting and it is almost like you are painting with your camera as you are shooting stuff. If you don't like it, I don't care. I like it and shoot with it quite a bit when applicable. Also, I drove the extra 200 miles roundtrip from Rachel out to the International Car Forest knowing it would be around sunset. I use a HDR preset consistently at the Car Forest due to the graffiti. Otherwise it just looks blah. But, I also tried some posterization out there as well.

This barebones music stage did not have any elaborate lighting...this gets credit to the posterization effect.

The a7RII is still a great camera.

This was taken with the Laowa 12mm Zero D wide open. No light pollution out in Rachel, Nevada

Obviously plenty of light, but, the skin tones are great. Zero post coloring.

International Car Forest

There aliens everywhere if you just look...lol

The 12mm Loawa

Adjusting the posterization effect to black and white.

Don't forget to have some fun when you are shooting..

These guys had a mobile electronic DJ setup...IMHO it was the best music out there....

A little bit of Burning Man, EDC, Coechella and alien love.

I did try some pixel shift shots but not really figuring out how to convert those yet. Overall, very happy with the aR7IV and mostly easy to shoot on the fly.

-- hide signature --

vegasdood's gear list:vegasdood's gear list
Olympus TG-5 Sony a6000 Sony a7R II Sony a6300 Sony a7R IV +12 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow