The Z7 on safari

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Doug Greenberg Contributing Member • Posts: 519
The Z7 on safari

I just got back from an eleven-day safari in Kenya and Tanzania. It was not explicitly a "photo safari," but for me taking photos of birds and animals was a primary focus. I took a lot of my photos, especially images of birds, with my Z7 plus the Nikon 500mm f5.6 PF lens, sometimes coupled with the TC14eiii teleconverter. The resulting 700mm f8 optic autofocused quite well except in very dim light.  I also own a D850, but decided to take the Z7 because it is lighter and I am becoming addicted to being able to see the exposure level through the EVF.

Overall, I think the Z7 acquitted itself well. The only negatives were first, the relative inferiority of the Z7 for "birds in flight" images. The 3D autofocus of the D850 here would have been much better. I don't really emphasize BIF images, however, and for the ones I did take the Z7 autofocus system was passable, though not ideal.

The second problem I had was a bit surprising, i.e., a frequent problem with the eye sensor, in particularly, with dust interfering with the automatic switching back and forth between viewfinder and rear screen.  I know that if worse comes to worst one can simply switch manually between the viewing devices, but I have become used to the automatic mechanism, and its frequent balkiness was annoying. One of the problems with safari photography is, in fact, dust getting into everything, but on my particular trip there were some (welcome) rains and conditions were not particularly dusty except for during a few days. I do think that the susceptibility of the eye sensor to dust blockage is a small but real minus for the Z7. It's easy enough to remove the eyepiece cover and clean the sensor but I found myself doing this way too often

Still, overall I was happy with the performance of the camera and with the images I came home with.

Doug Greenberg, Berkeley, California

Doug Greenberg's gear list:Doug Greenberg's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P7800 Nikon 1 V2 Nikon D500 Nikon D850 Nikon Z7 +9 more
Nikon D850 Nikon Z7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow