No Fujis seen in 2,700 miles California/ Nevada trip

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
goodbokeh
goodbokeh Contributing Member • Posts: 758
Re: No Fujis seen in 2,700 miles California/ Nevada trip

miles500 wrote:

When I am on my travels I like to see what other photographers are using. I have just completed a 3 week trip to N California and Nevada inclusing Death Valley and LAs Vegas and I was surprised how few serious cameras I saw - a sprinking of Canonikons but not a single Fuji. In the main people were using their phones which seem mainly to be used for selfies or shots of family members against whatever landscape. Very few people seemed to be interested in the landscapes themselves and I can not fathom why people would want to return home with the same grinning face peering out from and obscuring the attraction that they had presumably come to see!

Incidentally I mention that whilst taking night shots on the Las Vegas strip, I was accosted by a ( very pleasant) security guard who said that monopods ( sticks s he called them) were not allowed. I gave him my abridged lecture on why decent cameras were no more a security risk than smartphones and moved off to another location to continue!

Well miles500, my travel experiences reflect yours. I think that the few of us that still use cameras (of any brand) stand out from the cell phone herds as different and are often viewed with suspicion. I recently read on the DPReview Mobile Phone forum that we that use traditional cameras are viewed as "anti-social".

These changing times won't stop me from using my cameras when they offer clear quality advantages but it has modified what I feel comfortable using in an urban environment. I now favor smaller primes rather than zooms and going forward if the next camera body I'm buying comes in a choice of colors I'll pick chrome for its non-pro look.

goodbokeh's gear list:goodbokeh's gear list
Panasonic GH5 Sony a7R III Fujifilm X-T30 Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +19 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow