Infrared-converted G16 Find

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Tons o Glass 0 Class
Tons o Glass 0 Class Contributing Member • Posts: 564
Infrared-converted G16 Find

I picked up a clean-looking Canon G16 at my local swap meet this week from a gentleman that sells storage auction finds - at a price where I wouldn't be hurting if it was dead. As soon as I acquired the proper battery, I was pleasantly surprised to find that it at least powered on, but I was a bit shocked by what I saw on the LCD. As it turns out, it's likely LifePixel converted (or DIY'd with their guide/filter) to IR!

It's a blessing and a curse. An IR conversion is something I've been interested in trying for a while, so it's nice to be able to play with it without having to pay [a lot for the conversion]. It's sort of fun, but ultimately, I'm not sure whether or not I'd rather just have a stock G16 instead.

It requires learning some new-to-me and questionable processing techniques involving false color (and/or converting to B&W).

I mainly shoot adapted lenses on Sony E-mount. After trying this IR-converted camera, I'm now tempted to convert one of my neglected camera bodies to to try IR on a larger, less noisy sensor with my precious adapted glass.

Anyways, here are some initial test shots and some attempts at colorizing them, where my starting point was a DNG file with white balance adjustments expanded (via a custom profile) and with the red/blue channels swapped.  One thing that seems nice to do is to mix in a bit of blur for a nice glow (as I did in the palm tree image, for example).

If you have any favorite ways to expose/process IR photos, please share your thoughts! It'll be nice to keep them in mind if/when I try IR at a more photogenic location that is not just out my window or in my back yard.

What I find interesting is that brown hues (wood) tend to look just about right with the channel flip. I've also found that the lens doesn't seem very sharp in this spectrum at the wide end. G16 owners - I assume this isn't typical behavior for the visible spectrum?

The mid-range and the long end seem better in that regard.

B&W conversion of image above

Maybe I should be prepared to lighten clouds a bit with local adjustments?

Also, if you had to guess, what IR filter do you think was installed judging by the results (LifePixel offers a few different ones)?

Tons o Glass 0 Class's gear list:Tons o Glass 0 Class's gear list
Canon EOS 550D Sony Alpha NEX-3N A3000 Sony a7 II YI M1 +2 more
Canon PowerShot G16
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow