Fall photos of SW CO-- Hwy 550, Silverton, Ouray, Telluride
I was there several years ago and the color was great. We,too, started in the south and drove north. Some places to think about going S > N and E to W/SW.
1. For the very adventuresome that doesn't mind rough dirt roads- About 28 miles north of Durango on Hwy 550 (Million Dollar Highway) at Cascade Creek turn right onto Hwy 591 or Old Lime Creek Rd. (GPS- 37.65955N and -107.81052W). This is an 11 mile road that comes out to the north onto Hwy 550. Again, it's a little rough but we did it in a minivan (not high clearance 4WD).
2. Silverton- This is a charming, small town just off Hwy 550. Not to be missed. Great places to eat and good photo ops. Old cars, railroad cars, mountains, street shot.
3. Pulloff for waterfall just before the Ouray city limits sign
4. Dallas Divide- sunrise. On Hwy 62 to the west of Ridgway (Ridgway is north of Ouray).
5. Just west of Dallas Divide is Last Dollar Rd (maybe Hwy 58P) on the left. This is a 20 mile gravel road that ends in Telluride. Very smooth. Scenic. Some old structures along the way.
6. South of Telluride off Hwy 145 (San Juan Skyway) is Alta Lakes Road (dirt but good). Nice little drive to a couple of lakes if you have time for this. 4.8 miles one way to the lakes.
I have not included photos of Durango (was only there at night and left early the next morning), Ouray (a very nice quaint small town and a good place to stay) or Telluride (skiing town and has some good restaurants) and I did not travel over the San Juan Parkway or go to the Native American pueblos.
Enjoy your stay if you go. Sorry I went a little over the amount of photos you're supposed to post but I wanted you to get an idea of the area. No PP'ing on most of these.
|Post (hide subjects)||Posted by||When|
|3 weeks ago||4|