Need help with outdoor family portrait in bright sunlight

Started 4 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Idoc82 Regular Member • Posts: 287
Need help with outdoor family portrait in bright sunlight

I'm a rank amateur but have been asked by a good friend to make an outdoor family portrait for their Christmas card.

I asked them to come during the golden hour, but they can only come at 5pm when the sun will be bright and shadows will be everywhere.

Would appreciate any advice re: posing, framing, alignment with the sun, exposure etc.

I have a D300 and D7500, 24-70 2.8 FX and 16-80 2.8-4 DX.  I have a SB-700 flash.  Don't have a neutral density filter or any way to get one in time.

I was thinking of using the D7500 with 16-80, but could use the 24-70 if bokeh would be better or if there would be some other reason to.

Tell me if I'm on the right track with settings.  I was thinking RAW, ISO 200, White Balance auto, Aperture priority at 3.2 with the 16-80.  Exposure in the bright sun will have to be about 1/2000 with that aperture.  So I was thinking SB-700 for fill light with rear curtain synch.  Not sure how to set the flash. I was thinking spot metering on the camera so the flash would favor the main subject.   Should I do TTL and experiment with flash compensation?  Flash on manual and experiment with the power?  Any other suggestions?

Thanks very much for any advice.  Jim.

Nikon D300 Nikon D7500
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow