Hey astro experts, little help please

Started 3 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Fuji Maine Contributing Member • Posts: 503
Hey astro experts, little help please

Last night the moon rise was quite late and so I thought I'd try my hand at some back yard astro photography.  Fortunately I live in a place with fairly minimal light pollution so I've got a decent testing ground. So I setup my camera on the tripod and pointed towards the sky, turned my 16mm 1.4 to f2 and manual focus.  Even when I magnified the image it was REALLY tough to tell if I had the stars properly in focus. Logic would tell me just to turn the lens all the way to infinity and have at it but that actually looked out of focus. From what I could tell the proper focus is actually a bit shy of infinity as indicated on the lens.  I took four shots so not a ton of trial and error but I thought I'd at least see how far off I was.  Please take a gander at these two images below and tell me what's going on here.  Am I out of focus or is the issue star movement? I thought for sure that as long as I stayed at or under 30 seconds I'd be safe from trails but now I'm not so sure.  Thoughts?

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow