This month with your Nikon 1 - August 2019

Started Aug 1, 2019 | Discussions thread
Tord S Eriksson
Tord S Eriksson Forum Pro • Posts: 14,714
Re: This month with your Nikon 1 - August 2019

Cubits wrote:

Tord S Eriksson wrote:

Cubits wrote:

With a bit of finessing i'm getting the moon sharper with the dx 70-300, but now need to play with blending exposures to pull up surrounding star details and foreground elements.

I need to get an app which shows the moon's path to get set up properly.

It is not an easy subject to get that perfect!

Did you use a tripod and tracker?!

No need for a tracker for the moon, that's a 1/400s exposure at base ISO. I just used a very cheap tripod, electronic shutter, and a remote trigger to kill as much vibration as possible. With such a quick exposure it's pretty easy to bash out a big set of pictures to stack for more detail.

These deep crescent moons usually look the most detailed because of the big crater shadows. Full moons are cool, but the detail is all in the surface materials which tends to require a better camera/lens to exploit.

I had to pull a bunch of CA off of this image, but that's part of why this kit tele is so cheap.

I have both the AP-S 70-300 VR and the 70-300 CX, and the AP-S is my everyday lens, while the 70-300 CX is saved for more august events.

-- hide signature --

tordseriksson (at) gmail.....
Owner of 1 Olympus, 1 Ricoh, and a handful of Nikon, cameras.

Tord S Eriksson's gear list:Tord S Eriksson's gear list
Olympus C-8080 Wide Zoom Ricoh GR Nikon 1 V1 Nikon D600 Nikon D3300 +23 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow