No lenses longer than 4 inches

Started 3 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
mjevans Regular Member • Posts: 482
No lenses longer than 4 inches

I couldn't think of a better title.

My wife and I recently visited a falconry centre I'd been meaning to go to for some time.

However, on parking up and starting to put my 150-500mm lens on my D500, my wife noticed a big notice on the edge of the car park saying no lenses longer than 4" and a long list of example lenses which were banned. We both thought it must be a mistake so went in and inquired only to be given a long diatribe against photographers and the terrible things they have done at the centre (none of which I condone at all nor would I have done as I have huge respect for living creatures). Needless to say I was a bit miffed as the only other lens I had with me was a 16-80mm but as we'd travelled a long way we paid and went in anyway.

I'm usually not that keen on seeing birds in cages but they were all very clean, the birds looked in good condition, the staff obviously looked after them and each bird was flown regularly on a rota with 3 displays a day. As it turned out the 2 displays we watched were very entertaining and even with the 16-80 I got a few good shots.

However, the more that I thought about this policy the more I didn't like it. It seems there is a growing movement restricting photographers and I'm not talking about the no tripods for health and safety reasons. If a few people with cameras have behaved badly why not just eject them but this policy seems to be labelling all people with a lens longer than 4" as a problem; I wonder what they'll do when they have 2 separate incidents with people wearing black shoes - ban all black shoes!

From their web site this is the new notice for photography:

Photography is welcome at Thirsk Birds of Prey Centre as long as you comply with our Photography Policy.

We are happy for photos to be taken of our birds including during the flying displays.
However please adhere to the following conditions

No tripods

Maximum lens size no more than 4 inch in length from the front of the camera body.

Please do not step over barriers

Please do not rattle aviary mesh to get a reaction

Please don't place a camera in to our birds close proximity, this may cause them stress

Please don't use noise distractions to aid your "perfect Shot"

Please refrain from disturbing or interrupting Experience Days

Please stay off of the lawned areas especially when course flying is in progress.

Please remain seated at all times during the flying displays this is for your safety and that of our birds and other visitors.

Please do not take photographs of minors without a parent/guardians or teachers permission.

Please listen and take notice of any instruction given by a member of staff.

Images are for your own use not for public display or posting on social media groups or commercial use.

Commercial use Licence available to purchase on request.

Failing to comply with these conditions may result in you being asked to remove your equipment from the centre.

Sorry for this long list of do nots but unfortunately we have encountered a small minority of photographers that really don't care about the subject matter or the disruption they cause as long as they get their shot.

This attitude not only causes stress to the birds but really annoys the staff who care for the birds.

Also, can someone operating a place like this prevent you from using your photos on "social media groups"?

Over the last few years this is a sample of restrictions I've come across:

• no photography at all (some outside events and in some public buildings - recently at Kynren)
  • photography allowed but no flash (numerous occasions but always in National Trust places)
  • no lenses longer than 4"
  • no photography without written permission (many occasions but notably at a privately owned outside area in Leeds publicly accessible - stopped by security guard)
  • no photography without paying for a permit (German style outdoor christmas market in Leeds - security guard told me I needed written permission from Leeds City Council)
  • extra charges for using "a professional camera" (in Ripon Cathedral, even though another lady with a "smaller but more expensive camera" was not asked to pay).

There were many more - I can't remember them all.

Martin

mjevans's gear list:mjevans's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS20 Nikon D7200 Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G +12 more
Nikon D500
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow