A7R IV in Camera RAW and Photoshop

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
AlephNull Senior Member • Posts: 1,708
A7R IV in Camera RAW and Photoshop

Finally the weekend arrives and I get a chance to use my new camera. Took just the 135GM and visited the zoo (animals make good practice subjects).

Came home with some decent shots of ringtail lemurs, and updated Camera RAW to 11.4.1 to get support for A7R IV RAW files (apparently preliminary support was added in 11.4, but there were some fixes in the .1). Tried to open a shot, and it all froze up. Time for some bad language and start googling for problems - nothing. Force Quit Photoshop. Start it again, and up comes a little pop-up saying that my GPU has been disabled for compatibility and I should look for updates to the driver. Hmm - maybe it wasn't Adobe's fault this time. Open a shot, and it all works as it should.

As is my wont, I cropped the shot for composition, trimming a fair bit off the sides and bottom. I pulled up image size to see what was left - oh, just 7200 x 5666 pixels? Gee, is that all? I think I'm going to enjoy this camera

As I tend to do when working with a new camera, I was using mostly AF. I am still working out the animal eye AF thing, but jumping into 100% view shows the focus was pretty good - it focused on the lemur's body, rather than its eye, but it's very sharp - I can make out individual hairs on its ears and body. And that's at f/1.8 and ISO 400. Gotta love the 135GM, and it seems an excellent match for the A7R IV.

The RAW files are, as expected, large - they vary a little from 122 to 123MB (possibly due to the size of the embedded JPEG?). Glad I put in large memory cards.

As I'm sure people want to see the results, here it is (13.6MB JPEG):

Ringtail Lemur

A7R IV, 135GM, cropped

AlephNull's gear list:AlephNull's gear list
Canon EOS 5DS Sony a7R III Sony a7R IV Sony FE 85mm F1.4 GM Sigma 85mm F1.4 Art +4 more
Sony a7R IV Sony FE 135mm F1.8 GM
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow