Prime as first lens for a beginner

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
Max Iso
Max Iso Senior Member • Posts: 7,891
Re: Prime as first lens for a beginner

Photodog2 wrote:

I am about to send my college age niece an Olympus OM for her first real camera. As is common for her age group, she has not used anything other than a phone for photography.

Now, the OM is a beautiful, to my eyes the most beautiful, camera ever so I am tempted to put a small 50 or 28mm prime lens on it to send her as a package. However, I learned photography with a zoom lens many years ago and I suspect most people did likewise. I wonder if she will just get frustrated and might be disappointed if her first lens is a prime.

Anyone here whose first beginners camera lens was a prime instead of a zoom? Any thoughts or advice welcome.

I think primes are the absolute best way to go, for both learning and mastering. You get more bang for your buck with primes and you can get faster lenses for more options with DOF control (and less noise). The only time i'd recommend a zoom is when the instant adaptability is a MUST for something like sports when you can't move around but the subjects do.

Aside from that, it's primes every time.

-- hide signature --

"Teach me how to sacrifice
I'm told that I don't know a thing
But maybe with some time alone
We'll both learn what it means
I feel as though I owe you more
Than just these words of gratitude you read
So before it ends, my friend
I'll teach you how to, bleed...." -

Max Iso's gear list:Max Iso's gear list
Nikon D300 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm F1.8 Panasonic Lumix G 25mm F1.7 ASPH +5 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MOD Biggs23
Bob
Bob
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow