Update on Sony A7R IV autofocusing issues

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
MinAZ
MinAZ Veteran Member • Posts: 5,047
Update on Sony A7R IV autofocusing issues

I received my A7R IV this week, and did some preliminary testing. Using the Sigma 135mm f/1.8 and Sony 85mm f1/.8 as well as the Samyang 18mm f/2.8, I did not notice any prominent issues with the Eye-AF. I did not properly test the other focusing modes, but the issues that were reported in the pre-production models involved Eye-AF specifically. Hit rates (meaning precise focus on the eyeball) seems to be somewhere in the 50-80% range depending on the aperture, lighting, and subject. The A7RIV DOES have a tendency to focus on eyelashes, so be aware (the green autofocus squares will actually show the focus area in real time so you will know when this happens, although I haven't found a solution to it other than just take the photo and refocus, at which point you might get the eyeball). Or manually focus I suppose. This is a night-and-day difference from the pre-production model I had tested, so I am happy. Obviously, this doesn't necessarily mean anything to the wider population since this is a sample size of exactly 1, but it does mean I am done testing

Also, and this is highly subjective, it appears the RAW rendering and noise issues have also abated. Now, I realize Adobe just released the latest RAW converter for the A7RIV yesterday, but here's the thing: I did not use Adobe to inspect the RAW files (yet). Instead, I used FastRawViewer because it is, well, faster. I would be surprised if the results are different with ACR though.

What does this mean? It means really bad news for Sony because there goes my excuse to buy the A9 II much less the A7S III. I might have to be content with the A7 III and A7R IV combo for now!

Sony a7 III Sony a7R Sony a7S Sony a9
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow