Comparing Olympus EM1ii with 75-300mm against Sony A7iii with Minolta 500mm Reflex Lens

Started 4 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
JimH123 Senior Member • Posts: 1,970
Comparing Olympus EM1ii with 75-300mm against Sony A7iii with Minolta 500mm Reflex Lens

I now have the Olympus EM1ii and the 75-300mm lens. And I am finding it is quite nice to use with fast focusing and sharp images. But I decided to compare it to my Sony A7iii with the Minolta 500mm f8 reflex lens using the Sony LA_EA4 adapter.

For this first comparison, I have two images of a SouthWest jet with both of them showing the jet at about the same size, Sony is on the left and Olympus on the right.

Magnifying them by about the same amount, with again Sony on the left and Olypus on the right, I see that the Sony image is considerably sharper.

Next, something farther away. Both images are about the same size, but the Sony image on the left is a much larger jet, but also much farther away.

If I again magnify them, the Sony on the left is sharper than the Olympus on the right.

One more. I tried to focus on a much more distant plane. The Sony with the Minolta 500mm Reflex lens with the LA-EA4 adapter had no trouble focusing on this plane but a similar sized plane attempted on the Olympus never focused and only hunted (even using the focus limiter). You have to look close, but there is a plane in the center.

Magnifying it, I can see that it is in focus even though there aren't enough pixels on the target to produce any detail. But it did focus and it did it rather easily.

Even with these results, I still like using the Olympus camera with the 75-300mm lens as it is small and light to carry. But I didn't expect the Minolta 500mm Reflex lens with the LA-EA4 adapter to outperform it.

Next, I will need to try this with the Tamron 150-600mm mk1 that I have.  It can use the Sony LA-EA3 adapter.

JimH123's gear list:JimH123's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-M5 II Sony a6300 Olympus E-M1 II Sony a6500 +1 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow