SONY A7R4 Review

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
dave veneri Senior Member • Posts: 2,187
SONY A7R4 Review

Low light focus is not good lower than f4.   Also, while the electronic viewfinder is night and day better than the A7R3, there seems to be a lot more breakup with patterns and lines even in Hi res. mode....The AF illumination light is worthless of you have a wider lens  . AF also has trouble locking on in low light as well. At 2.8 or wider its better. With the 24-105 it struggles more than the R3 it seems.  GM lenses are the key here f 2.8 or faster in low light.  Outdoors they are all fantastic.

On the plus side the camera is sharp and quick in good light. I was worried about high ISO and its just as good as my R3. No issues at all with noise. My 24-105 f4 is damn sharp, sharper than on the R3 for sure. I was worried about that lens as its a dream all in one. Hopefully they can figure out the crappy low light breakup of the EVF as the EVF is a massive improvement over the R3.

Grip feels better, menu still sucks, locking exposure comp. dial is a Godsend!, Dual level FN menu for Stills and Video is nice. Crop mode dishes out an amazing 24MP shot that's tack sharp, Shutter sounds 23rd century. Eye focus is the work of the devil. BIG improvement.  I have every Sony lens and they all work.  Obviously the GM lenses esp. the primes are on a different level but most of the sony lenses will put out nicely.  If you have a lens your wondering about ask away.

I think the upgrade is worth it over the R3.  Dynamic range seems a tad bit better but nothing more.  Color seems to have moved away from turning everyone into Shrek.

Peace, Dave
www.davenphoto.com

dave veneri's gear list:dave veneri's gear list
Sony a7R III Sony a7R IV
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow