Prime as first lens for a beginner

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
The Incredible Hoke
The Incredible Hoke Contributing Member • Posts: 908
Re: Prime as first lens for a beginner

Photodog2 wrote:

I am about to send my college age niece an Olympus OM for her first real camera. As is common for her age group, she has not used anything other than a phone for photography.

Now, the OM is a beautiful, to my eyes the most beautiful, camera ever so I am tempted to put a small 50 or 28mm prime lens on it to send her as a package. However, I learned photography with a zoom lens many years ago and I suspect most people did likewise. I wonder if she will just get frustrated and might be disappointed if her first lens is a prime.

Anyone here whose first beginners camera lens was a prime instead of a zoom? Any thoughts or advice welcome.

I'm not sure my comments are relevant to your zoom/prime question, but I couldn't resist replying with my own story about a young person and an OM-1.

When my wife was in high school, her dad gave her his Olympus OM-1 and a Zuiko 50mm f1.8 lens to use for her photography journalism classes. Judging from the photos I've seen, she loved the combo and got excellent results.

Fast forward several years later, when her father realized that his new son-in-law (me) was into photography, and mostly film photography. He pulled the same OM-1 and 50mm f1.8 out of his closet and gave it to me. My wife was like, "Oh man, I remember that camera!"

So, suddenly I inherited the camera/lens combo that my FIL purchased in 1972. He had used it to take all the photos/slides of my wife when she was a kid. I've seen and scanned many of these photos. It was also the camera my wife used for three years in high school.

Now today, I've been using that exact same combo for the last 10-12 years, taking photos of my wife as an adult.

It's incredible that a camera and lens purchased in 1972 has had so many lives and is still in use today. It remains my favorite camera/lens combo of all time. It's still in my bag and will always be in my bag until they find it in my belongings when I pass.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MOD Biggs23
Bob
Bob
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow