The D700 is still a capable camera - after re-gripping it!

Started 4 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
geerlingguy
geerlingguy Regular Member • Posts: 233
The D700 is still a capable camera - after re-gripping it!

For the past decade or so, I've been slowly bamboozled by this forum's annual "Is the D700 still a capable camera in [current year]" posts. I remember renting and borrowing the D700 a few times back in the late 00's, and loving that camera body.

Really, I think I loved the D3 sensor paired with the fact the D700 cost like half as much

Nikon hit it out of the park with the D700, but as the camera gets older, things like the front rubber grip start wearing out.

This creates an opportunity (since the forum convinced me the D700 is such a nice body, and I have my fond memories of it): I was on the fence over getting a D700 as a fun / secondary body to my D750 (I was trying to use a Sony a6000 for this purpose but it just can't shoot like a DSLR for event and sports photography), and I found one on eBay that I was able to pick up for just over $300! (Most go for around $400 unless they have obscenely-high shutter counts, in the hundreds of thousands).

So I bought the thing, and re-gripped it with a grip I found on eBay (recording of the process here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hw-jiDQcwbc). I wish I could've gotten the grip part from Nikon directly; it seems like this grip may be the same mold, but a few tiny details make it seem like it doesn't have the same fine details as the grip that I removed from the D700.

Anyone else have a story about re-gripping their camera? This D700 body has a thumb grip that is still attached but seems like it's on its last legs too. That spot looks a lot easier to replace though. No weird 3D flex bending when sticking the new grip in.

geerlingguy's gear list:geerlingguy's gear list
Nikon D60 Nikon D700 Sony a6000 Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR +10 more
Nikon D700 Nikon D750
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow