Started 4 weeks ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
greyhoundrick
greyhoundrick Regular Member • Posts: 228
?: Would love your input on EYE AF

Hello!

Hope you are all doing great!

I have a few questions for you regarding the Eye-AF on the Z cameras.

I have a Z7 and I haven't used the Eye-AF too much. For moving people I have been using either Dynamic Area, AF-Wide small or AF-Wide large.

Ive experimented with Eye-AF and I have mixed results.

Yesterday I was using it for outdoor portraits and it worked fine in both AF-S and AF-C.

Today I tried it again and could not get it to work in AF-C mode. It worked fine in AF-S mode but I could not get it to go to Eye-AF in AF-C. It would face track fine in AF-C however.

I tried different lighting, distances with moving subjects and had no luck at all.

Then about 20 minutes later and I tried it again and it worked fine in both AF-S and AF-C.

My questions are:

1. Do you feel that this is typical behavior in that in AF-C sometimes the camera will use face detection over eye because of the focus mode? I had called Nikon and they told me that eye af likes AF-S better than AF-C but in all honesty I would really like to get the forum members' thoughts.

2. With regard to the white "OK" box you see in the viewfinder... is that a feature where if you want to move the focus point/area you press OK, move the box and then press OK again to get it to turn yellow?

3. Im shooting a roller derby match tomorrow and since I haven't shot sports with this camera yet I was wondering if I should even mess with Auto AF Area Mode at all or just stick to Dynamic and the Wide Area modes?

Thanks so much for your time and expertise. This is an awesome forum and its really great to be a part of it!

take care,

RickĀ 

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Nikon Z7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow