8 Bit or 16 bit , sRGB or Pro Photo

Started Sep 11, 2019 | Discussions thread
technoid Senior Member • Posts: 2,276
Re: The difference is ...

Ken60 wrote:

Sure , despite all this pixel , or dot , peeping .... I truly think the 16 bit workflow all the way to the printer allows the ability to keep the image on screen in photoshop and make little changes, aesthetic adjustments , and go right out to print without having to reduce the bit depth.

Another little note from this set of prints is the blue ball. If you peek at the first set of charts I posted, look at the top right blue ball. Specifically at the outer area of darker tones.... horrid in the 16 bit Pro Photo and quite clean in 8 bit sRGB ! So much for the dedicated blue cartridge of the Pro 1000.

Anyone care to say which black ball four posts or so back , is the 8 bit Pro and which the 16 bit Pro ?

Hi Ken,

Just got some time and loaded Gamut_test_file_flat.tif in PS. It's 16 bit, ProPhoto RGB. I deselected Edit-Color Settings->Use Dither.

I duplicated it then selected Windows->Arrange->Match All so the two tabs are in the same position. This makes it easy to switch back and forth from one image to another and see even the most subtle changes. Much better than side by side.

Then I converted the duplicate to 8 bit using: Image->Mode->8 Bits/channel. It's still in ProPhoto RGB of course.

Switching tabs back and forth from the 16 bit to 8 bit versions I see no difference at all. Not even subtle changes. Just nothing at all.

Next, I set up View->Proof Setup->Custom selecting my printer profile and Rel. Col. with BPC and applied it to both tabs. There is, as expected, a big change. However, after applying soft proof to both the 16 bit and 8 bit images and toggling the tabs back and forth there was again, no visible change.

However, my monitor was set to sRGB emulation so I switched to the wide, native monitor gamut and repeated the above tests. Colors were more saturated of course as the image is something of a stress test (for printers actually) but once again there were no observable differences between the 16 bit and 8 bit image.

Further info: My main monitor is an Eizo 319CG running in 30 bit mode, Quadro K2000D using ColorNavigator to switch display gamuts.

So if you are seeing changes on your monitor from 16 bit to 8 bit mode something in your system setup is messed up.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow