Started Sep 11, 2019 | Discussions thread
pixelgenius
pixelgenius Senior Member • Posts: 4,224
Re: 8 Bit or 16 bit , sRGB or Pro Photo

knickerhawk wrote:

pixelgenius wrote:

knickerhawk wrote:

Ken60 wrote:

Go into photoshop and go to colour settings..... look for "dither 8 bit" and uncheck it.

Close Photoshop and download the chart I linked. open it as a 16 bit Prophoto and call it 16 bit. Now convert it to 8 bit and save as 8 bit. With both open and select two windows side by side , zooming in on the black and white ball.

Now look at the two balls in 16 & 8 bit together each covering half your screen. What you will start to see is the real 8 bit , with all the horrid things that it can deliver, not the faked version of 8 bit you are claiming is as good as 16 bit ...... but dithered to fake it.

The dither on/off switch doesn't make that much of a difference here even with a purely synthetic image as is the case with the balls.

But for proper testing, it should be off.

The banding will just look a little more jagged. With a naturally dithered image, which is usually the case with photographs that aren't hugely edited, the dithering setting will be even less relevant.

More importantly, your experiment is failing to address a fundamental question: what is the bit-depth of your monitor?

Actually the far more important question has little to do with the display: Is there any benefit to sending more than 8-bits per color after editing in 16-bit to the printer. The answer has been and continues to be: No.

Agreed, but you've got quite the cheekiness barging in here and "contradicting" Andrew Rodney (a/k/a the digitaldog), whose article was cited by the OP as the basis for this whole thread!

I'm not contradicting anything sir. I'm on topic which is about printing the image. Who cares what it looks like on a less than ideal, low bit display if that's even the case (your assumptions)?

DO attempt to read the OP's original question before being cheeky and barging in here:

Ken60 wrote:

I mentioned my practice of using 16 bit data and Canon XPS driver, thus allowing output direct to print and instant manipulation of files in their photoshop format .

It was my feeling that modern inks should be able to exceed the 8 bit data from sRGB files that have been the traditional print feed.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow