Lens for car shows

Started 2 months ago | Questions thread
snapa
snapa Veteran Member • Posts: 4,057
Re: Lens for car shows

Joachim Wulfers wrote:

snapa wrote:

desrataz wrote:

Sigma 30mm f2.8 lens for less than 200.00.

I agree with you, here are a few (over 95%) taken with my Sigma 30mm f2.8 lens.

Here are a few more taken of a motorcycle show with the same lens. IMHO, I think it is the best bang for the buck prime lens for the Sony APS-C E-mount cameras.

I agree that a 30mm lens from Sigma works for car shows, however it will depend on the size of the crowed. In busy street car show or cruise nights too many people come between you and the subject so you need to get closer to the subject. For those situations a wider lens is required. I have used the 21/4 Voigtländer Color Skopar or the Sony/Zeiss 24/1.8. Or, like in the last show I posted, the Sony pancake 16/2.8. Therefore the best lens is dependent on the situation in the field.

Next week I will shoot a Cruise Night (in the blue hour and later) taking place at a 50's Diner every Thursday night. I will probably need the Sigma 16/1.4 for that occasion.

When I go to car shows that require me to get closer, I simply use my excellent Sony 18-135 lens. Here is a show that had cars very close together, and it worked out perfectly. That was the first day I used it, and it was around noon on an extremely sunny day, so I was just learning how to use it.

BTW... have I told you how much I enjoy using that lens lately? IMO, it is the best wide-to-mid range zoom lens Sony has ever made for their APS-C E-mount cameras, period!

-- hide signature --

Life is short, so make the best of it while you can!
http://grob.smugmug.com/
https://grob.smugmug.com/Wildlife-Pictures/

snapa's gear list:snapa's gear list
NEX-5T Sony a6300 Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS +4 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow