Charges for photographing landscapes ... your thoughts

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Paulowen929 New Member • Posts: 3
Charges for photographing landscapes ... your thoughts

Hello all. I wanted to ask for fellow photographers their thoughts on paying a fee to photograph a landscape. The reason I ask is that I've taken photographs of landscapes in both the United Kingdom and further afield but have never been aware of the requirement to pay for access to locations … until now! After making  9 visits to Iceland over the last few years I have decided to visit a new location for me - the Faroe Islands. During research to identify locations I have been made aware that many Faroese landowners are now charging photographers to access viewpoints and vistas that the internet has made "popular". Reasons for imposing charges (most have been implemented from early 2019) include the cost of repairing damage to footpaths that cross said land. My initial thoughts were "okay that seems fair" until I realised that some of these fees seem a little steep in my opinion. For example, access to the "floating lake" Traelanipa will cost £47 GBP or $58 US dollars with a guide or £25 GBP/ $29 USD  without. But imagine my shock when I enquired about the cost to access the footpath that leads to Dranganir. This walk can only be undertaken with the landowner as your guide and the charge per person is … £400 GBP or nearly $500 US dollars!

I would be interested to hear others thoughts on the subject and whether (amateur) landscape photography will become a past-time for the wealthy?

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Lan
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow