Best Time Exposure technique for Z7

Started 3 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
CaptD Senior Member • Posts: 2,265
Best Time Exposure technique for Z7

I've had some crazy different results with long time exposure and my Z7 the last few nights.

I tested a 2 min. shot at home ISO 400, MEDIUM resolution, both NR ON and OFF, and the results were great although underexposed. The 3 stop push in LR didn't kill the file. That was a big surprise.

So I went to shoot a job and made a 14.5 minute shot at ISO 1600, LARGE resolution, NR ON, and the results are terrible. Noise is out of control.

So I went back the next night and dropped the ISO back to 400, tested while the light faded, and shot about 21 minutes at MEDIUM resolution NR OFF. The results are fine, but about two stops under this time. The push in LR is fine.

I'll test again, but not at the job location which is two hours away.

1) Is it the ISO 1600 that killed me or the LARGE resolution file? I guess testing will tell.

2) If I want to try the multiple exposure method rather than long single exposure, can I combine the files with an Adobe product?

Let me see if I can post some examples

-- hide signature --
 CaptD's gear list:CaptD's gear list
Nikon Z7
Nikon Z7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow