Prime as first lens for a beginner

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
John Michael Winterbourne
John Michael Winterbourne Senior Member • Posts: 2,779
Re: Prime as first lens for a beginner

Sorry, I'm going to break a personal rule and respond before looking at more than a small handful of the replies you've already had.

Photodog2 wrote:

I am about to send my college age niece an Olympus OM for her first real camera. As is common for her age group, she has not used anything other than a phone for photography.

Now, the OM is a beautiful, to my eyes the most beautiful, camera ever so I am tempted to put a small 50 or 28mm prime lens on it to send her as a package.

I did pick up that the camera in question is an OM10.  But what do you have in the way of primes that you can put in the package?  If you have a 28 and a 50, why not just send both?

However, I learned photography with a zoom lens many years ago and I suspect most people did likewise. I wonder if she will just get frustrated and might be disappointed if her first lens is a prime.

Does her phone have a zoom lens?  If not, I very much doubt she would be disappointed.  Although I do tend to pick up that phones tend to have wide angle lenses about 28mm equivalent, so she might find a 50mm not what she's used to.

Anyone here whose first beginners camera lens was a prime instead of a zoom? Any thoughts or advice welcome.

What I (or any other responder) had as a first camera is completely irrelevant.  Advice? Simple - discuss things with her before you do anything.

John Michael Winterbourne's gear list:John Michael Winterbourne's gear list
Olympus C-300 Zoom Fujifilm X100T Nikon D70 Nikon D80 Nikon D2X +35 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MOD Biggs23
Bob
Bob
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow