Z DXOmark score question

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
mostlyboringphotog Veteran Member • Posts: 8,940
Re: Z DXOmark score question

FingerPainter wrote:

bayareaphoto wrote:

If so, this confirms that there is something fundamentally wrong with the way Dpreview Studio comparison tool is shot. To wit, the following clearly (in my view) shows off the Z6 much better than the 5DS:

https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/image-comparison?attr18=lowlight&attr13_0=canon_eos5ds&attr13_1=nikon_z6&attr13_2=apple_iphonex&attr13_3=apple_iphonex&attr15_0=raw&attr15_1=raw&attr15_2=jpeg&attr15_3=jpeg&attr16_0=12800&attr16_1=12800&attr16_2=640&attr16_3=640&normalization=compare&widget=1&x=-0.4450535434556324&y=-0.8541429065823068

In summary, I am trying to reconcile my visual observations with PDR technical measurements. So far, I am not succeeding, and am forced to point the finger at the Dpreview comparison tool as the culprit for this dissonance.

Why?

If I may, most of us, when faced with mutually exclusive observation (i.e. both could not be true at the same time), it's natural to look for "what did I overlook" and ask other's opinion. I think the open forums are great for that.

Except, when it's not.

bayarea may have sounded opinionated but the push back he got seems unnecessarily condescending.

DPR takes actual photographs and let's you see what they look like.

True but the 5DS shot looks tad bigger than the Z6 shot even in "comp" mode, indicating that FL was bit longer or camera was bit closer or the same FL of the lens was not quite the same or something else

Compare Bill's results for these two cameras, DPR's results and DxOMark's test results (measurements not scores,) for SNR 18% and DR. Bill's results look like the outlier to me, in this case. In other cases DxO is the outlier, and perhaps in a few, DPR is the outlier.

Amen.

mostlyboringphotog's gear list:mostlyboringphotog's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Pentax 645Z Nikon 1 J5
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow