8 Bit or 16 bit , sRGB or Pro Photo

Started Sep 11, 2019 | Discussions thread
technoid Senior Member • Posts: 2,277
Re: 8 Bit or 16 bit , sRGB or Pro Photo

Ken60 wrote:

Go into photoshop and go to colour settings..... look for "dither 8 bit" and uncheck it.

Close Photoshop and download the chart I linked. open it as a 16 bit Prophoto and call it 16 bit. Now convert it to 8 bit and save as 8 bit. With both open and select two windows side by side , zooming in on the black and white ball.

Now look at the two balls in 16 & 8 bit together each covering half your screen. What you will start to see is the real 8 bit , with all the horrid things that it can deliver, not the faked version of 8 bit you are claiming is as good as 16 bit ...... but dithered to fake it.

Ok, but I need some specific info. I presume the image you are referring to is Andrew Rodney's Gamut_Test_File_Flat.tif, which is a 16 bit tif in ProPhoto RGB.  Is this correct? I have downloaded that image.

There are 14 balls in the image two of which are black and white,  So which one are you referring to? I'm surprised you see any difference at all. Could you post a screen shot of the comparison?" I'll then try to duplicate your image.

Thanks.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow