Is there a way to change the spot meter size on Fuji X cameras?

Started 1 month ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Tristan Birdfield New Member • Posts: 3
Is there a way to change the spot meter size on Fuji X cameras?

I use the zone system for exposure, like Ansel Adams and the many many photographers since him that have adopted his system of exposure. This requires taking a spot meter reading of values in the scene. Most often the objects in the scene that one takes meter readings from are quite small. I've been able to use the spot meter on my Canon 5d for this purpose, which is small enough, though sometimes I wish it was even smaller. Only sometimes do I consider carrying a dedicated 1 degree spot meter when I'm using the 5d. When I bought my Fuji camera I double checked that spot meter was one of the features. However, when I use my Fuji X-E1 (yeah it's old I know) the spot meter is way too large for doing zone system readings. And I've searched and searched through the menus the manual and the web to find a setting to change the size of the spot meter area. The size is only good for metering on a face, but too big for objects in a scene. It's basically useless for proper zone system exposure metering. I often end up metering on a patch of different values while making a guess about what zone the combination of them adds up to.

Does anyone know if there is a way to change the spot meter size to be smaller? It seems like there should be no technical challenge here. Presumably the camera uses the regular photo sensor sites to do metering. I would consider upgrading to another X series camera like the X-E3, X-T3 or pro2 if one of them has this feature. From glancing at the Fuji website the firmware interface is basically the same for all of these models? From what I can tell the answer is 'no' which would be very disappointing for me. I probably won't be able to switch to the Fuji system full time without this feature.

Many thanks,

Tristan

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-T3
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow