Seeking some sage wisdom about D500 standard zoom choice for photojournalism

Started 4 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
JD28 New Member • Posts: 16
Seeking some sage wisdom about D500 standard zoom choice for photojournalism

Hi everyone!

I'm a photographer for my college newspaper. I have a D500 (which I love), and I've saved up about $1100 to put towards a new lens. I'm in need of a general purpose zoom and I'm currently thinking about picking up either a FF 24-70 2.8 or a Sigma 18-35 1.8, but I could use a little help from people more experienced than I.

I shoot on assignment, which (lately) includes lots of outdoor sports, local events, and politics. My current bag includes the 35 1.8 G DX, the 50 1.8 G, and the Tamron 70-210 f/4, which cover basically all my needs on the long end of things. This winter, I'll be covering our basketball team (my first time ever shooting indoor sports) and lots of indoor rallies/events, so I need something wider than a 52.5mm equivalent but also a bit more versatile than the primes.

The Sigma 18-35 1.8 ART looks like a phenomenally sharp lens, and the current price of only $640 is hugely appealing, but I don't know how much use it will be to me given the (relatively speaking) narrow zoom range. The Tamron 24-70 2.8 G2, on the other hand, also looks great, but I need something that will be sharp wide open (especially indoors), and I've read some mixed reviews about that aspect. Moreover, having never done it, I don't know if the 24-70 focal length on my DX sensor will be a good mix with baseline shooting at a basketball game. Can anyone with more experience speak to this?

Any insight or input about a general-purpose photojournalism lens would be great!

Thank you all for your time,
John

Nikon D500 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G2
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MK
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow