Prime as first lens for a beginner

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
OP Photodog2 Regular Member • Posts: 229
Re: Prime as first lens for a beginner

LoneTree1 wrote:

Photodog2 wrote:

Bobthearch wrote:

Photodog2 wrote:

To clarify, it is an OM10, the non-pro version of the classic OM1 that I am gifting her. A beautifully designed film camera.

Lol.

That's an important detail to leave out, especially at a website called Digital Photography Review.

But it will be using lenses that can easily be adapted for a digital camera

Honestly, using old lenses on a digital camera is something for a seasoned photographer. Beginners need AF and ideally need zoom lenses. I know the millenials and some teens are "into" film today, but who knows how long that fad will last. A decent digital camera (Olympus E-M10II) and two basic zoom lenses, 14-42 and 40-150mm is probably ideal for a beginner. Film cameras today are so cheap to obtain ($20 for a body and 50mm lens) that could simply be thrown-in.

Have you recently looked at the prices of film cameras in ebay? Due to the interest from millenials and the younger generation, their prices have gone up. You'd be hard pressed to find any of the well regarded or even average models from the Big Five that are in good working and cosmetic condition for less than $50 body only. Still that's not too much money and so depending on my ebay shopping in the next 2 weeks, my niece might just end up with two packages on her door step. The OM10 with a 28mm prime, and a used 1 inch sensor digital with a zoom.

Photodog2's gear list:Photodog2's gear list
Pentax K10D Pentax K-5 IIs Nikon D600 Sony a6000 Sony a7 II +3 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MOD Biggs23
Bob
Bob
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow