One lens One body camera — mft or bridge camera?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
evetsf Senior Member • Posts: 1,045
Re: One lens One body camera — mft or bridge camera?

Chizuka wrote:

Henry Falkner wrote:

Chizuka wrote:

Hi, i am faced with a dilemma. I want to travel with only one camera and one lens because I will be walking a lot all day and I am a small woman. I would like the lens to cover a 12-150 range ideally (in mft terms) and I don’t want to buy the Olympus 12-100 PRO because of the cost.

I carry my Olympus SH-1 pocket zoom when shopping, for the following reasons:

It has a 16 MP sensor with tolerable noise reduction and sharpening. I have watcheable 33x23 inch prints from it.

It lives in a small pouch on a shoulder strap, and does not do battle with shopping trolleys.

It looks like it is no longer available.

I am looking at the new Olympus 12-200 or the older 14-150 f4.5/5.6 or at a bridge camera with a 1inch sensor. Is there a noticeable difference in IQ between the mft options and a Bridge camera like the Sony Rx10 mk3 or the Lumix FZ 2500 or something similar.

My E-m10 Mark II with 40-150 lens gets me more printable Gannets In Flight at the Muriwai Beach Sanctuary than all my pocket zooms have done on any particular visit.

I do have that lens, and it would be great except for having to change lens or carry 2 bodies. Where can I see some of your gannets pictures?

The 12-200 would make lens changing unnecessary when switching to the landscape. But early reports said that after 100mm the lens jumps to the far end. Recent reports and Rob Wong's video does not mention this though. Then again, the 14-150 is much cheaper.

The reviews do seem to be mixed, hence my question regarding a bridge. Is a less than stellar mft lens better than the lens of a Bridge camera?

I would be using the Lumix G9 body.

In that case you might prefer a lens with IS in it - the Panasonic 14-140 for a compromise in range https://www.dpreview.com/products/panasonic/lenses/panasonic_14-140_3p5_5p6_ii_asph_ois

Wouldn't it be sufficient to have the G9 in body stabilization, because I believe the Oly 14-150 is weather sealed and the Pana is not?

Henry

There are at least three versions of the Panasonic 14-140. The two most recent have a F3.5-5.6 aperture range; the most recent one earns a "ii" designation and is officially known as model number H-FSA14140 where its predecessor is H-FS14140.  The FSA version is optically identical to the FS version but adds weather sealing. That's the one Henry refers to in his link.

Steve

evetsf's gear list:evetsf's gear list
Fujifilm X-S1 Panasonic FZ2500 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Panasonic Lumix DC-GX9 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH +3 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow