Used Nikon 70-200mm VR II vs new 3rd party alternative vs combination of zoom and primes?

Started 4 weeks ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Martian977 New Member • Posts: 8
Used Nikon 70-200mm VR II vs new 3rd party alternative vs combination of zoom and primes?

Hi,

I have recently started shooting full frame and getting equipped with lenses. My first lens had to be wide angle 17-35 as I do a lot of landscapes and travel photography, but now I am after something longer for portraits, sports, wildlife as well as telephoto landscapes.

I have found a good deal on second hand Nikon 70-200mm VR II AF-S G ED. The guy selling it is a pro and is upgrading. The lens shows some wear, but seems to work all right. I am no pro although I do sell my pictures occasionally.

Just to put things in relation, this second hand Nikon will come significantly cheaper than a new Tamron 70-200 G2, but the Tamron comes with 5 year warranty.

Also I am not fully convinced I need such a big and heavy lens to carry around in my bag. Alternatives like Tamron 35-150 or  Nikon 28-300 in combination with 85 f1.8 or 90 f2.8 Macro are half the weight, about the same cost if not cheaper and are more flexible for certain situations.

I am tempted to go with the 70-200 to see what such a highly praised lens can do in real life, but in the same time I feel intimidated by its size, weight and pro look underlined with some "pro scratches". Also the price is very favorable.

I will be glad to hear your experience and opinions on this.

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow