Prime as first lens for a beginner

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
Gerry Winterbourne Forum Pro • Posts: 16,179
Re: Prime as first lens for a beginner

Photodog2 wrote:

I am about to send my college age niece an Olympus OM for her first real camera.

has she been involved in choosing this camera? The surest way to make someone lose intertest in photography is to buy them a camera they haven't chosen for themselves.

So before thinking about lenses make sure she's happy with the camera.

Do you mean an old 35mm film OM camera? if so, will she be happy with the limited number of shots and the delay while they are processed? Or do you mean an OM-D digital camera?

The difference is important for another big reason - the sensor on the OM-D cameras is only half the width and height of a 35mm film frame so lenses give a dramatically smaller field of view. You mention below 28 and 50mm lenses; for the OM-D cameras the same field of view would need 14 and 25mm.

As is common for her age group, she has not used anything other than a phone for photography.

Now, the OM is a beautiful, to my eyes the most beautiful, camera ever so I am tempted to put a small 50 or 28mm prime lens on it to send her as a package. However, I learned photography with a zoom lens many years ago and I suspect most people did likewise. I wonder if she will just get frustrated and might be disappointed if her first lens is a prime.

Anyone here whose first beginners camera lens was a prime instead of a zoom? Any thoughts or advice welcome.

My first serious 35mm camera had a fixed prime lens of (I think) 45mm. I was fine with it for about three years before I got frustrated; at that point I bought an SLR - yes, Olympus OM1 when it first came out - with three primes of 27, 50 and 135mm.

I still use primes for preference.

-- hide signature --

Gerry

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MOD Biggs23
Bob
Bob
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow