Prime as first lens for a beginner

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
john Clinch Veteran Member • Posts: 4,020
Re: Prime as first lens for a beginner

Bobthearch wrote:

Bob are you sure

Photodog2 wrote:

I am about to send my college age niece an Olympus OM for her first real camera. As is common for her age group, she has not used anything other than a phone for photography.

I thought he meant a an old film OM SLR

Assume you mean OM-D, a digital camera?

That's a micro-4/3 sensor.

Now, the OM is a beautiful, to my eyes the most beautiful, camera ever so I am tempted to put a small 50 or 28mm prime lens on it to send her as a package. However, I learned photography with a zoom lens many years ago and I suspect most people did likewise. I wonder if she will just get frustrated and might be disappointed if her first lens is a prime.

Yes.

A 14-42mm zoom is the standard kit lens for OM-D cameras. Didn't the camera come with one?

I don't think Olympus ever made a 28mm or 50mm lens for a digtal camera. But they did for their film SLRs...

Anyone here whose first beginners camera lens was a prime instead of a zoom?

Sure. It was ca. 1976 and I was seven years old using a camera from my dad's collection, an Agfa or similar made of brown bakelite. I don't recommend such a first camera for a college-age person in 2019.

Any thoughts or advice welcome.

My immediate thought it to ditch the micro-4/3 idea and get something like a Nikon DX (APS-C camera) that, for the same price, offer a larger sensor and much more affordable lens options. It just seems like Olympus is overpriced for what you get compared to an entry-level APS-C DSLR or mirrorless system camera.

I'd send her a prime. The film thing is about hard to get my head round. But it will look reall cool which will help. She'll think more about each shot with an OM. Having prints might well be novelty

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MOD Biggs23
Bob
Bob
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow