Rainy Day Wetlands: Wood Ducks, Gator, Stilts & Friends

Started 1 month ago | Photos thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
zackiedawg
zackiedawg Forum Pro • Posts: 31,711
Rainy Day Wetlands: Wood Ducks, Gator, Stilts & Friends

Back to posting the wildlife stuff from the wetlands again, after having been on vacation at Disney World for the last week.  I left off with some shots from July 4th, and today I'm picking up with some shots taken on July 6th - it was an overcast and rainy day - light rain would fall periodically throughout the day in brief showers...while lacking in sunlight, the even overcast light wasn't too bad for bird shots in the early afternoon when our sun would usually be too harsh.

All shots taken at Green Cay Wetlands with the A6300 and FE100-400mm GM combo, and posted at 1400 pixels on the long side if you click the originals:

A black-necked stilt standing in the shallows in a light rainshower...it didn't bother him too much, so I didn't let it bother me either!

Nearby was this juvenile stilt, staying close to the parents

Closeup with a gator on the shore, trying to have a little nap - but keeping the eye open to watch me

The lovely black-bellied whistling duck, flying past me with a backdrop of greenery

And then a backdrop of the nature center across the lake

And back to the green background again

This young green heron looked like something surprised him - could have been me, pointing my lens at him - he had taken up position strategically behind these plants to hide...though may have misjudged just how much cover they provided

A red-bellied woodpecker up in the pine trees

Another pair of black-bellied whistling ducks, hiding under a fern island from the light rainshowers

Though I never got to see the lovely male wood duck, who didn't seem to be around, the female is still lovely in a more subdued way...she was proudly guiding her ducklings through the reeds

Another look at the female as she glided through the openings in the reeds

Here are the cute ducklings trying to weave their way through the reeds, following mom's path

All ducklings are cute - these ones are especially so when you consider the ordeal they have to contend with shortly after hatching - the parents lay their eggs high up in tree holes - and shortly after hatching, mom heads down to the water and calls them - and they have to crawl out of the hole and drop 8-20 feet down to the ground or water.  Good thing they're fluffy and light, and can bounce!

More of momma closeup as she cruises past

And a last shot that I caught of her before she ducked back into the reeds with her ducklings and disappeared

Comments, questions, and critique welcomed as always!

-- hide signature --

Justin
galleries: www.pbase.com/zackiedawg

zackiedawg's gear list:zackiedawg's gear list
Sony a6300 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Sony DT 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 Voigtlander 35mm F1.4 Nokton +22 more
Comment & critique:
Please provide me constructive critique and criticism.
Sony a6300
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow