Started 2 months ago | Questions thread
dj_paige
dj_paige Senior Member • Posts: 1,723
Re: Can i use x265 to compress a RAW to JPEG without losing quality

MackMack wrote:

dj_paige wrote:

MackMack wrote:

mclewis wrote:

JPG already can give you a compressed image that is visually indistinguishable to the raw original. You just need to save with a high enough quality, the highest is not generally needed as it will not look better for a much larger file size.

Ok, but just want to confirm one thing that if I need a very large size print (a big 55in x 60in) wall poster from this high-quality JPG then does it will give image quality as if it would have taken form RAW ? If yes then it's good.

This depends on a lot of things that have nothing to do with compression. The number of pixels in the saved JPG image has a big impact here.

And why worry about the sharpness of such a large print anyway? No one is going to walk up to the image and from 12 inches away judge the sharpness. If the original image isn't blurry, then whatever you print at 55x60 ought to be reasonably clear, when judged from a distance.

Ok but this video from Tony : The TRUTH: High Megapixels + BIG Prints are a WASTE? iPhone vs Sony a7R IV vs Sony a7 III

says something else

See my reply here: https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/63115344

-- hide signature --

Paige Miller

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow