First Shots with G-9 and 100-400

Started 4 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Karen Casebeer
Karen Casebeer Contributing Member • Posts: 577
First Shots with G-9 and 100-400

Hi all...Last night I did my first photoshoot with the G-9 and 100-400.  What an amazing system!  I honestly hadn't read more than the basics in the manual and went mostly on the fly.  One question I have is when you're in manual mode, how do you know whether you've reached correct exposure?  Is there more than just checking the histogram?  In Canon, there is a little grid at the bottom of the viewfinder that told you that you'd reached exposure.  I didn't see that in the Pany.  I was shooting auto ISO so maybe that's why.  I've attached three images, two with quite high ISO and I'm more than satisfied.  These are straight out of the camera JPegs, with no post-processing.   Any suggestions or ideas about learning resources, such as tutorials would be really helpful.

As for the subjects, in the first image, a huge flock of Sandhill Cranes was feeding on the dregs in a plowed corn field.  This must be the first wave of migration since there were 20-30 of them.  The last two images are of a Sandhill Crane family I've been following for the last month.  While cranes are always unique, this family had two juveniles and it's been fun to watch them grown and mature.  They're almost their parents size now.  Typially, only one egg survives but they had two.  You can tell the juveniles because their red cap isn't developed yet.

Karen Casebeer's gear list:Karen Casebeer's gear list
Canon EOS 80D Canon EOS M5 Canon EOS 77D Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM +4 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow